Friday, July 6, 2007

Home cooking!


Ah. Home sweet home! I'll admit that it is a touch Pavlovian, but the minute I fly across the geometric planes of Kansas, I start getting the distinct urge to bake! It's tricky trying to whip up something on the road, especially when in Europe, as I'll never trust myself to get the conversions just right, but here at home it's the thing that slows me down and takes me back to those memories of helping my Mom trim the excess dough off her heavenly apple pie, and getting my hands on that coveted spatula dripping with the leftover batter!

This time around it's ZUCCHINI BREAD, courtesy of my sister-in-law! I can't recommend it enough:

*Preheat oven to 350*

3 eggs beaten
1 C vegetable oil
2 C sugar (I can't resist using half brown sugar)

2 C fresh zucchini (peeled, grated, and packed firmly)

3 C flour
1 Tbls. cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

*Sift flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda together.
*In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil and sugar together.
*Mix grated zucchini in with egg mixture.
*Fold in sifted dry ingredients.
*Pour mixture into lightly greased 9x5 bread loaf pans.
*Sprinkle batter with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
*Bake @ 350* for 1 hour, or until done when tested

Makes 2 loaves.

(The only other caveat I might add is that I LOVE to add chopped walnuts and dried cranberries...use your imagination!)

There. I feel much better, now!

ENJOY!

2 comments:

Brian said...

I want some!!!

Larissa said...

And your excuse for not baking bread when you are in Houston?