Sunday, April 5, 2009

Inspired....

Contrary to what may be popular belief, I have not, in fact, fallen off the face of the earth!! I've been enjoying some real down time, and have truly made the most of it: a little slice of heaven at the end of a long winter! But I'm resurfacing, rejuvenated and ready to discover the beautiful city of Vienna, ready to discover a brand new creation by Peter Lieberson, and ready to tackle my next recording.

Oh, how could I forget? There has been one, little, and yes, exciting development: ALCINA IS HERE!!!!!


I arrived home from a long stint in Paris a few weeks ago with a package waiting for me; tearing it open I discovered the long-awaited finished product of our hard work from nearly 18 months earlier: Alcina had arrived! We recorded the piece in the tiny village of Tuscania, and while it was only a year and a half earlier, so much has happened in my life, to revisit her, and discover anew this glorious, tormented and, I think terribly misunderstood, creature captivated me. (If you'd like to revisit it as well, I wrote about the recording process here.)

Well, in the meantime, have no fear - I've been continuing to search out inspiration and smiles. So much has fit the bill, but honestly, nothing quite like this gem: ENJOY....

13 comments:

Gerald said...

EXCELLENT!!! What would be our lives without music?... Let's all sing and dance when we go to work every morning, when we are stuck in the traffic jams or riding on our bikes. La vie est encore plus belle en chantant! Dear Joyce, lets organize a similar happening next time you come to Belgium (this was done in one of the most beautiful train stations from Europe, Antwerp's central station) maybe with a few of your hits from Furore!!! Don't you think that Handel "rocks"? I definitely do! Viva la musica!!! And toi, toi, toi for your debut at the Staatsoper!

Anonymous said...

YYYYYYYYEEEAEEEEEEEEEAAHHH! You are singing Elena in La Donna del Lago! That´s so INCREDIBLE!!!! Just two weeks ago I was talking to Alberto Zedda after a concert he gave here in Berlin and he said that he regrets your decision not to sing Cenerentola any more. But I think that Elena is far better than Cenerentola... I think you are one of the best singers to sing those dramatic Rossini roles which he wrote for his wife, Isabella Colbran. And, some day, I hope that you´ll sing Semiramide!!!!!

And, of course, your Alcina RULES!!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers Jakob

Smorg said...

O boy! I wasn't looking to buy another Alcina CD set, but this one just demands to be heard. A mezzo Alcina! Thank you very much for the notice! :o)

Very glad to hear you had a good winter break and escaped that big winter bronchitis bug that had been shooting singers down left and right. Hope April has started well!

Cheerio,
Smorg :o)

Elena Rakova said...

How interesting to discover this Joyce... I'd never have thought that this video could attract your attention...
It's so nice to read the Joyce who is happy to see how music makes people smile!!!

Operafan said...

Thanks Joyce for this musical video, what a great start for the day, it makes me walk on air... on the way to Bastille each morning, where I have been accepted for an internship (the "climax" of my post-graduate degree:-)! All best, have fun in Vienna and keep on enlightning our lives!!

Kenderina said...

Glad you had a well deserved break, Joyce !!

This video is sooooo funny ;)

Gi said...

Missed you, lady, and your inspiring posts, but am glad the absence was for the right reasons :-)
Thanks for the Alcina tip, methinks I can get it from amazon.co.uk :-)

Gi said...

Gerald, what a lovely idea to create a musical, heart-lifting event in a public place ourselves. I wonder if we'd need to go through a lot of red tape, though.

marcillac said...

Superfluous to wish you good luck at the WSO as your debut is certain to be a smash hit so I'll merely proffer anticipatory congratulations. I would recommend the Turkish coffee (kinda heavy and distinctive but at least worth a try) and the Esterhazy cake at the Sacher.

Mei said...

I'm sure Lieberson's The World in Flower will be a very special work...

Enjoy Vienna...!! Maybe too early for the roses of the Volksgarten...

PS: Summer is closer...!!

Pablo Ordás said...

Hi Joyce,
as I told you I've gone to New York on february. Now I'm in Viena with a friend, but only until monday 13, so we cannot see you! That's terrible, because we've seen Juan Diego twice singing L'elisir d'amore.
I won't say "good luck" because of the superstition. Just "in bocca al luppo".
;)

LenZ said...

Excellent, excellent news about Alcina. Really looking forward to hearing it as well as your next recording - whatever it may be!

Renato said...

Bellissimo il video!!! Joyce, un giorno dovrai cantare Maria von Trapp in "The sound of Music"!!! Ti ci vedo troppo!!!
Baci, R.