Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gratitude - Day 117

Gratitude - Day 117
I'm grateful for support.

Yesterday was a big debut for me at the Paris Opera as I was singing the role of "Romeo" for the first time - a rather daunting undertaking, as it's truly "big girl singing" ... despite the fact that, yes, it's a "male" role - and the amount of support I felt around me was quite overwhelming and MOST welcome. I received the most beautiful flowers I've probably ever received (thank you, "Operafan"!) and my record company, EMI, which won, HANDS DOWN, the award for the most unbelievably enormous (and I do mean E-NOR-MOUS - as in "barely fit in the taxicab" enormous) beautiful bouquet full of roses, gladiolas, hyacinths and these gorgeous, stunning peonies - perhaps my new favorite flower!!!

I was extremely touched by the generosity, not only of the flower-givers, but of the chorus, the orchestra, the cast, the crew - it was one of those evenings where you felt everyone was WILLING it to be a special, beautiful, meaningful show - and by the audience's reaction, I take it that the mission was, in fact, "accomplished". Merçi beaucoup, a tous - including the wonderful comments here from you all - it's terribly thoughtful of you! More soon ...

8 comments:

ACB said...

Oh, I love peonies!! They remind me of brussels sprouts... :)

Congrats on an opening of a show that has been so special for you!

Raisa said...

Congratulations on your debut, Joyce!
You deserve all the flowers in the world!
Best wishes for the rest of the performances.
Raisa

Paris - A Votre Service! said...

Hi - I was lucky enough to be in the audience Saturday night for the spectacular show - it was a very special night in a terrific atmosphere of anticipation. The performances were mind-boggleing (sp.) filled with precision and emotion and seat gripping energy. Your passionate, exuberant young Romeo was thrilling. The audience barely coughed or sniffed in the wrong place. The Bastille is (perhaps too) stingy with its ovations, and it was fantastic to see it was for you!

A couple of observations:
All the cheering after the scene in Juliette's bedroom made for one helluva (long) kiss.....So thats what you gotta do to get a kiss like that!

You were great with that sword! Definately not a prop I would want to have to deal with.....

You gesture towards your co-star at the curtain call was generous and touching and humbling.

Again, thanks again and congratulations. What an evening it was!

Gi said...

I'm so glad it went so well - not that there was any doubt about it!

Pity about no DVD... Does anyone (mei?) know if france musique streams on the web?

Mei said...

Yes, Gi, France Musique will stream the opera on the web, June 28 at 19:30 local time...

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

France Musique web-site is here:

http://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/accueil/

You click on "Direct" and you'll listen to that unforgettable prima we were privileged to be a part of ;-p

Yankeediva said...

Thank you to all! And yes, I'll try and remember to post the link closer to the day for the broadcast.
Cheers!

Gi said...

Thank you Mei and Dolcevita. I hope to be able to listen :-)