Friday, July 4, 2008

Gratitude - Day 130

I'm grateful for holidays that involve FIREWORKS!! Even if I had to work today because I'm in Madrid where they don't celebrate Independence Day (the nerve!), I'm glad for the rest of my compatriots who get the day off and can indulge in hot dogs, ice cream, potato salad, bike parades, dives off the high dive, painted faces, sunburns and block parties! This lovely sight greeted me last Sunday while I was home for a full 18 hours or so - the Kansas City Symphony gave a free concert just outside my window, so as I was going through heaps of mail and French taxes and laundry and xeroxing, I was able to get a touch of the festivities which carried me through today.

(Luckily, the display lasted a long time so I could really play around with my camera!!!)

Happy 4th of July to America and all it's ex-pats - and speaking on behalf of my Country, I hope we live up to our promise a bit better in the future...

PS - the monument in the background is the Liberty Memorial - the National World War I memorial in the United States - the only museum dedicated solely to WWI.

5 comments:

Mei said...

Don't forget Spain entered into the American Revolutionary War as an ally of France, Treaty of Aranjuez, in 1779...

Operafan said...

Happy 4th of July, Dear Joyce!! We French are celebrating today the return of Ingrid BĂ©tancourt who has been held hostage by the FARCs in Colombia for 6 years and 4 months...She just took off her picture who was hanging on the front of the Paris Hotel de Ville... A huge day for liberty and fraternity!!

Yankeediva said...

Viva Espagna! And It is incredible news, Operafan, her return! Viva Francia!

Kenderina said...

Hope you are having a nice time in Madrid, Joyce :) Maybe a bit too hot !!!
If you want to see BIG fireworks in Spain you have to come to Valencia in March for the St Joseph festivities, Fallas :) You (and your camera) would love it !!!

Operafan said...

Yes, incredible and wonderful return... as well as those of the 3 Americans and 11 Colombians that were rescued with her... Of course, our heart goes out to all the people who are still held hostage in Colombia and all over the world, there is still much to go for freedom everywhere...