Sunday, July 27, 2008

Gratitude - Day 144

I'm grateful for an unexpected, yet perfect "oomph" of inspiration. Tonight before my last show here in lovely Madrid, I'll admit it - being the last show and so close to vacation, it was challenging, shall we say, to keep focused on the task at hand, and for Mozart, you pretty much have to stay focused on every little semi-quaver, or else...

Well, in addition to all the amazing people I meet backstage, the theater here also boasts the most wonderful Press Department, and tonight I met the daughter of one of the beautiful ladies who deals with all things "pressing". (Ha - can you tell it's 3:00 am???) Well, she walked in the door, and just like her Mom, she lit up the entire dressing room. I went on to learn that she comes to most of the shows - most recently Makropolis Case, which she in fact, loved! I warned her she was in for a lot of Mozart's notes, but assured me she was really looking forward to it. (Come to find out, at the end, while she was definitely ready for her bed, she loved every note of it!) She also plays both the cello and piano. When I asked her, most presumptuously, if she would play me something, in great Spanish Style, she hesitated not, and went on to play a really beautiful piece for me - oozing musicality.

Come to find out, she also recently lost her father, and immediately I felt a pinch of kinship with her, separated by a few decades obviously, but I felt her pain. I assured her, as best I could, that I was pretty sure her Dad could hear the music she makes, and while that made her smile, I got the feeling I wasn't telling her anything she didn't already know. Her shining eyes and eager thirst for new adventures was the perfect "oomph" of inspiration for me in this last show of the season.

On a side note, I got a big chuckle out of walking past this sign each day while carrying my bag of apples and yogurt from the Corte Inglese supermarket - (if you click on it, you can see it larger, and you just might be able to make out the list of names on the right...you know, you have your "Domingo", your "Villazon", your "Heppner" and "Stimme". Well, you also have a little "DiDonato". And no - I never get used to seeing my name on lists like that blown up over a huge square in a huge city! But it reminded me that I'll soon be back to kick off my FURORE concert on December 3rd. It is the first of a big tour, and I simply cannot wait. I've put so much work into this project, I've heard the final edit of THE DISC, I've seen the final cover art for THE DISC - and it's ACTUALLY REALLY HAPPENING! Wow.

So for now, it is "Adios" to Madrid, this wonderful town, "Adios" to Idamante for the time being, "Adios" to a wonderful theater and a lovely cast, and I'll be back with (furious!) bells on before long.

Now I'm off to Florence for (another!) exciting (I promise - you won't believe it!) recording project. Three days of lots of notes and recits (I swear - you'll want this one on your shelf as well!!) and THEN ... VACATION! (Am I there, yet???)

7 comments:

Operafan said...

Tips for starting a great day:
1/ Rush to your computer every morning to read Yankeediva's posts,
2/ Get some space ready in your Joyce DiDonato CD and DVD shelf section, in expectation of all the new recordings to be released,
3/Zoom on the Teatro Real 2008-2009 season photo, and tell your favorite mezzo that it is not a"little DiDonato" but a BIG one and the first on the list :-))
4/Spend an incredible evening re-listening to and watching her Dejanira, and replay it immediatly!
5/Play lottery and try to win to become a millionaire and be able to listen and watch all her performances...

Wish her great Vacation, tons of resting and thank her for being what she is!!
Cheers!!

Vissi d'arte said...

Well, I hope you feel comfortable up there in Madrid's sky with great Plácido :-D We'll be waiting for you on December! I'm so glad you're coming back that soon, then it's not "adiós" but "hasta luego" (not "good bye" but "see you!")

Have a great time enjoying your holiday -you deserve it! but please let us now when we can have that wonderful Furore CD home, I can't wait! And how's the cover like??? Is there one of the beautiful pictures you make on it? Is it a lovely image of you looking so glamourous? I'm so impatient!

It's been a pleasure having you here. I can tell by your pictures that Madrid really loves you, and so do us!

Hasta pronto guapa!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John Kenneth Adams said...

Hi Joyce...

Of course I loved that photo of the little girl at the piano. Her gaze reflects both intelligence and determination. A young Alicia de la Rocha! Well Done You...now YOU need Sea Bathing badly. Cheers, John

Gi said...

Little DiDonato gets first billing, ha! :-)
I'm looking very forwards to all those discs - a special feeling for Furore, of course, for having been there - and hope to keep reading you through work and rest...
Hugs, and take care.

Kim said...

I cannot WAIT for your new CD! I absolutely adore your voice, your personal voice, and I can't wait to have it preserved forever on a CD. (Not to mention that I can't wait to blast it on my home stereo. :D)

Keep up your really hard work. I'm a big (yet silent) fan who always looks forward to your next blog post. You're an inspiration.

~Kim

Mei said...

Children are always a source of inspiration...

I'm waiting for Furore!... Four months have passed since the first concert in Brussels...!!

You must tell us more about this new project in Florence...

Yankeediva said...

Ah, thank you all for the great comments! CHEERS!